Friday, January 14, 2011

say.

Words. Some larger than others, some smaller, but even the smallest of words can have the biggest impact on the people we are, and the lives that we lead. Going to a Christian school, you tend to hear the words 'the power of the tongue' used a lot. I whole-heartedly agree, the tongue does have amazing power, but people never really focus on the good side of it, or how it can fix the brokeness it's caused. Just how harsh it can be.


It's funny how some of the hardest sentences to say are the shortest and simplest, containing only three simple syllables.


'I'm sorry.' 'I miss you.' 'I love you.'


I suppose it's because these words are packed full of such meaning, and as a result of this, sometimes a risk has gotta be taken to put it out there. When apologizing, maybe we feel we're losing our pride or sense of self. When saying we miss someone, are we admitting that we're weak because we can't get by without them? When saying I love you, I suppose we're jumping into the deep end, and whether we sink or swim is dependent on the response of the other person.


Not saying what you need to say takes it's toll on the soul, i've noticed. Whilst the result of what you say may not be desirable, it truly is better to say 'too much', as long as you've said what you needed to. It's just getting over the fear of the response. Getting out there, and seeing where you go. The unknowns kinda fun anyway.


I always put off saying what I need to say, and I think in my case I do it because I'm a little self conscious, if I'm honest. I think today I've decided that if things are meant to work out in the end, they will, and maybe not how you expect, but you'll always get by.


So go and listen to this song that's been following me all day. John Mayer and yes I know, I reference him all the time, but I just love him. Haha.







Take all of your wasted honor
Every little past frustration
Take all of your so-called problems,
Better put 'em in quotations

Say what you need to say

Walking like a one man army
Fighting with the shadows in your head
Living out the same old moment
Knowing you'd be better off instead,
If you could only . . .

Say what you need to say 

Have no fear for giving in
Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end
Its better to say too much
Then never say what you need to say again

Even if your hands are shaking
And your faith is broken
Even as the eyes are closing
Do it with a heart wide open

Say what you need to say


'

No comments:

Post a Comment